A day dedicated to food, drink, family and friends - that's my kind of festa! Below you will find an assortment of Portuguese inspired Thanksgiving recipes. Portuguese wines are made to be enjoyed with food - so this is the perfect holiday to pop some Portugal - wine pairings included!
Portuguese Port Cranberry Sauce - with Port! This recipe is written by one of my good friends from Porto, Portugal, with Catavino tours. The best part about this sauce - it uses Port!
- Pairings - of course, Tawny Port!
Choriço Stuffing - A Portuguese twist on an all time favorite thanksgiving recipe! The Choriço adds complexity and some heat and smokiness.
- Wine pairings - a medium bodied red
Portuguese Style Vinho Verde Turkey - Cookbook blogger and author Tia Maria gives us another reason to love Vinho Verde with this recipe.
- Wine pairing - you guessed it, a fresh Vinho Verde would be perfect both to cook with and pair with this dish. The high acid in the wine cuts through the fat of the turkey for a perfect pairing.
Portuguese Style Beer Turkey - This recipe hails from George Mendes' New York City Portuguese restaurant Lupulo.
- Wine pairings - spiced and salty - this pairs great with the Vadio sparkling wines from the Bairrada region (traditionally had with salty suckling pig in Portugal).
Portuguese Style Roasted Potatoes. Simple and delicious this is a great side dish for a Thanksgiving table.
- Wine pairings - The Vadio red from Bairrada would be a perfect pair.
Portuguese Cornmeal Bread (Pão de milho). Portuguese cornmeal bread is a staple in Portugal and a great addition to a holiday table. It has a wonderful texture and can stand up to the bold flavors of Thanksgiving side dishes.
- The bright and fresh Lacrau white from the Douro Valley would be my pick!
Have other Portuguese recipes you would like to share? Email me at Rachel@rachelfarah.com